At the end of last year, the week after school had finished, the IT techie and I ensured that the BYOD system was all up and running, that kids could connect to the network and we could push apps out to them – which was all successful.
In the second week of this term, the technician and I went to each class and managed to enroll all the students who had their ipads into the management system and connect them to the wifi and internet. When we tried to push apps out to them, we found it didn’t work.
It has taken the best part of 4 weeks to work out that the Education Department (whose filtering and internet systems we have to use) had changed their certification and it was rejecting our ipad management system and not allowing us to use it properly. This meant we could not fix any issues with kids connecting to the wifi/internet nor could we get apps out to them that we had purchased. We had to wait for the Dept to make changes to get things moving.
This Wednesday (the technician only works Monday and Wednesday) was planned for us to go to each 6/7 class and finally get it all sorted.
HOWEVER, a local electricity transformer exploded on Saturday which shut down all our servers and actually fried our internet box. None of the teachers and students had internet til this morning.
SO, hopefully the compounding errors have all been rectified and we can finally get the BYOD happening properly.
I can assure you that we are most certainly doing our best to rectify problems that occur on site and that we do our very best to expedite problems that occur because of external influences.
I hope this answers some questions about why the BYOD iPads have not been used much in classrooms yet this term.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you have about BYOD,